Begin forwarded message:

From: Christopher Gerbi <[log in to unmask]>
Date: February 16, 2010 8:13:28 PM CST
To: Cathy Manduca <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Invitation to UMaine education research conference

Hi again,

I should have thought to send this along in the email this morning, but if you know of anyone interested in graduate work in science education, please feel free to pass this blurb along.  We certainly would like to see more folks with Earth Science interests.

Thanks,
Chris

THE UNIVERSITY OF MAINE'S MASTER OF SCIENCE IN TEACHING PROGRAM has openings for graduate assistants for Fall, 2010.  This interdisciplinary, content-rich, research-based program for current and future secondary mathematics and science teachers offers coursework, education research leading to a thesis, and a nationally accredited track for those seeking initial secondary certification.  The program is designed for those with undergraduate degrees in a science, mathematics, or engineering.  Full-time students are supported by assistantships with a stipend minimum of $19,790 plus tuition waiver and partial support of health insurance. The program also includes part-time students, such as practicing teachers.  For additional information, please e-mail[log in to unmask], call (207) 581-1016, or see www.umaine.edu/center/mst-program/.

--
Christopher Gerbi
Assistant Professor - Mineralogy/Rheology

Tel. 207-581-2153
FAX 207-581-2202
http://www.umaine.edu/earthsciences/

Cathy Manduca wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Hi Chris -
Thank you for the lovely invitation.  I'm going to decline because my two kids are graduating from high school and graduation in the previous  4 weeks, which I htink would make it hard for me to prepare.  I hope that you will keep me on the list for future years.

Either Dave or Kim would be great.  Kim could talk about the synthesis project, or any of a number of studies she has underway.  Dave could talk about teaching in the field.  If you are particularly interested in the spatial skills work we've been doing, I'd recommend Tim Shipley at Temple.

Thanks for the reminder -- I hadn't seen your original mail which always makes me worry about my life!

Cathy

I wondered if you might have had a chance to consider the invitation I sent last week to come to UMaine's Center for Science and Mathematics Education Research conference in June (copied below).  I am sure that is as busy a time as always for you, so if you can't come, I wondered if you might be able to suggest some other people we could contact.  I was considering writing to Dave Mogk or Kim Kastens, but I wanted to ask you first.

Thanks,
Chris

--
Christopher Gerbi
Assistant Professor - Mineralogy/Rheology
Department of Earth Sciences
Bryand Global Sciences Center
University of Maine
Orono, ME 04469-5790

Tel. 207-581-2153
FAX 207-581-2202

Christopher Gerbi wrote:

Dear Cathy,

The University of Maine Center for Science and Mathematics Education Research will host its fifth biennial conference on integrating science and mathematics education research into teaching in June.  I have long recognized the excellent work SERC has done and is doing, and now have the opportunity to invite you to present your work at the conference.

We would hope that you would be interested and willing to present some of your recent work and facilitate a workshop (2 hours long) related to implementing research on geoscience learning in the classroom.

The event will take place on the University of Maine campus in Orono, Sunday June 20th through Wednesday, June 23rd. The conference program will consist of opening and concluding keynote speakers, contributed and invited talks, workshops, panels and roundtables, a poster session, and evening programs, with ample time for discussion and participant interaction. We expect around 165 participants, including STEM educators at middle school through undergraduate levels, scientists, and education researchers. The forty stipend slots we hold for middle and high school teachers usually fill within a few days of opening registration; we waive the conference fee for all K-12 teachers who wish to attend.  Presenters come from across the nation, though a majority of teachers who participate are from Maine.

The following themes will be the foci of the conference:

-Recent findings from science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) education research
-Using discipline-based education research in middle, secondary, and post-secondary STEM classrooms
-Research supported strategies to increase participation and learning in STEM, particularly among students from under-represented groups
-Strategies for improving student learning using technology in STEM teaching.
-Building effective partnerships to implement research-guided practices in the classroom
-Research-supported strategies for STEM teacher preparation and professional development

There will be a special brunch for invited speakers on Sunday morning. To facilitate rich interactions and networking within the conference, we requests that speakers arrive in Orono in time for the brunch and stay through lunch on Wednesday. There is support for travel and local expenses for your visit.

To give us time to extend other invitations if the conference will not fit into your schedule, we would like to hear back from you by Monday, February 15th if possible.  You can contact me or Amie Gellen (cc'd), who is heading up the organization for the conference, to let us know if you are available and would like more information.  To learn more about our Center, please visit http://www.umaine.edu/center/.  We are looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Chris

--
Christopher Gerbi
Assistant Professor - Mineralogy/Rheology
Department of Earth Sciences
Bryand Global Sciences Center
University of Maine
Orono, ME 04469-5790

Tel. 207-581-2153
FAX 207-581-2202

--
Christopher Gerbi
Assistant Professor - Mineralogy/Rheology
Department of Earth Sciences
Bryand Global Sciences Center
University of Maine
Orono, ME 04469-5790

Tel. 207-581-2153
FAX 207-581-2202

Cathryn A Manduca
Director, Science Education Resource Center
Executive Director, National Association of Geoscience Teachers
Carleton College
1 N College Street
Northfield, MN  55057
507 222 7096