On Thursday 14 January 2010 13:00:18 Tom Rockwell wrote:
> Spec'ing a workstation for use by grad students for local analysis work.
>   Any comments?
>
> We'll add drives 2 and 3 in RAID1 purchased from third party (extra
> drives a pricey from Dell).

I've come to like raid 1 a lot.

> Thanks,
> Tom
>

> Dell Precision T3500n, CMT, Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS v5.3 for EM64T
> 64bit system w/ 1 YR RHN, w/ Media
> Unit Price $1,501.50
>
> Processor Quad Core Intel® Xeon® W3520 2.66GHz, 8M L3, 4.8GT/s, Turbo
> Memory 6GB, 1066MHz, DDR3 SDRAM, ECC (3 DIMMS)

I hope the turbo memory doesn't cost much.  I have never seen a case
where it meant much.  I've looked at work stations and common office
machines and didn't see why it was bought.

> Graphics 256MB ATI FireMV® 2260, 2MON, 2 DP w/ 2 DP to DVI Adapter
>
> Boot Hard Drive 320GB SATA 3.0Gb/s with NCQ and 16MB DataBurst Cache™
>
> Options No Floppy Drive and No Media Card Reader

I still get floppies.  Just last month I had a need to update a bios
on a machine which had a dead cd drive.  That $9 came in handy at that
point.  You won't need it very often, but when you do..........

> Mouse Dell® USB 6-Button Laser Mouse
>
> Chassis Configuration and 1394 Mini-Tower Chassis Configuration
>
> Optical Devices 16X DVD+/-RW, Data Only
>
> Speakers Dell AX510PA Sound Bar for all Entry Flat Panel Displays
>
> Power Supplies Precision T3500, CMT, 85 Percent Efficient Power Supply

85?  Mine were 88! ;-)  Seriously, they're decent supplies.

> Hardware Support Services 3 Year Basic Limited Warranty and 3 Year NBD

If you can take the money from the turbo memory and apply it to an extra
year.  Budgets and all that...

> Multi Select Monitors Dell G Series G2410 24in Wide Monitor, VGA/ DVI

drool