Joshua, I don't think this is correct.

My understanding is similar to Mike Joseph's: slashdot members can
rank a comment (-1 to 5?) but at one time you couldn't both rank a
comment and reply in that thread(?). So people would encourage others
to rank the parent comment higher, if they had already commented
elsewhere in the thread.

But I don't comment very often on /. and I'm pretty sure the
moderation system has changed over time.
-John

PS - I suppose I'm a leach, but I usually just read slashdot with 4 &
5 comments. Seems a good way to keep up on tech, without spending too
much time.  And most of the time I'm not logged in, so I don't even
see the moderation options.