On Slashdot, members can spend moderation points to elevate good
posts. The person asking to 'mod the parent up' is asking for a
moderator to add points to the thread's parent posting.

~mike

On Jan 14, 2010, at 3:50 PM, David McFarlane wrote:

> OK, this is not really the right place to ask this, and I am
> exposing some degree of tech illiteratacy, but can someone tell me
> what "mod parent up" means?  I see this phrase from time to time on
> Slashdot, I have tried Google in vain, I still cannot make sense of
> it, and I feel I am missing out on the joke.
>
> TIA,
> -- dkm

Mike Joseph
Programmer / Web Tech.
The State News, MSU
http://www.statenews.com
http://www.lansinglowdown.com

Decide what you want to say and say it as vigorously as possible,
without apology and in plain words. - Paul McHenry Roberts