On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:43:37AM -0500, STeve Andre' wrote:

> On Tuesday 26 January 2010 11:39:54 Kim Geiger wrote:
> >    >>> On 1/26/2010 at 11:35 AM, STeve Andre' <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Does anyone know why incoming SSH to msu is blocked?   Most
> > > weird.
> > >
> > > --STeve Andre'
> >
> > http://servicestatus.msu.edu/status_detail.php?id=000000000004138
>
> Right, but *why*?  This seems an extreme thing to do.  I'd been debating
> doing stuff from home today, and if I had it would have been using SSH.
> This would have been boring.

Why?  We were troubleshooting an incident that affected network service
to over 30 buildings, and suspected a possible DoS.  We were seeing log
messages indicating a high volume of SSH probes against our core network
systems, and this was the fastest way we had to eliminate this as a
suspect.  The block was lifted as soon as practical.

Doug

--

Doug Nelson, Network Architect	 |  [log in to unmask]
Academic Technology Services	 |  Ph: (517) 353-2980