Part-Time/Project Based Intern Wanted for Hilltop Community Farm

Brief Overview of Internship: Hilltop Community Farm, LLC, a small-scale diversified organic community supported agriculture farm and market garden located on the eastern edge of Wisconsin's Driftless Region in NW Sauk County, seeks a qualified individual to assist with our organic orchard expansion and fruit tree research project. This is a part-time, project based internship opportunity, ideal for a candidate interested in sustainable agriculture research, education, and project management. We received funding through the North Central Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education Program and the Organic Crop Improvement Association, International to assess the sustainability of growing eight fruits and are looking for assistance with elements of orchard care, maintenance, monitoring and outreach. The fruits we are growing include: aronia, quince, elderberry, currants, saskatoons, and seaberry. In addition to expanding unique varieties of Midwest-grown fruits, these cultivars exhibit much potential for organic production, are high yielding, environmentally friendly, and are an exceptionally nutritional food source. We are designing for sustainability at all levels with our project including habitat enhancement features such as field borders, windbreaks, rainwater catchment, and a forest garden plot.

Learn about the dynamics of agroforestry and sustainable fruit production while helping with a variety of tasks needed to meet the roles and responsibilities of planting, maintaining, and monitoring a newly established organic orchard. Undergraduate and graduate students encouraged to apply and integrate field experience into course work/credit.

For more information and to apply, please contact Erin Schneider,  [log in to unmask].
If you would like to access a searchable archive of the all the previous Mich-Organic listserv postings copy this URL and paste in your browser address field http://list.msu.edu/archives/mich-organic.html