Hi David,

I just so happen to have a paper sitting on my desk that I've been meaning
to read which just might lead you to what you are looking for.

Edelson, D. C., Gordin, D. N., & Pea, R. D. (1999). Addressing the
Challenges of Inquiry-Based Learning through Technology and Curriculum
Design. *The Journal of the Learning Sciences, 8*(3/4), 391-450.

Quote from the abstract:
"We have been exploring these challenges through a program of research on
the use of scientific visualization technologies to support *inquiry-based
learning in the geosciences*."

Hope this helps.

Gary Glesener

M.A. Student

Psychological Studies in Education

Graduate School of Education and Information Studies, UCLA

and

Director,
The Modeling and Educational Demonstrations Laboratory (MEDL)
Earth & Space Sciences, UCLA

595 Charles Young Drive East,
Box 951567
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1567