Since David mentions Samsung, I will chime in .... I've been very
happy with the personal models of Samsung (current one is ML-2510).
Sometimes you can find that for as little as $65.  And I did buy one
for home, but that was hard to refuse at $20 after rebate. I don't
have experience with the higher end models that the original poster
was asking about.

I started with Samsung after the HP 1100 debacle. We purchased about
30 of those (including the scanner feature) for all faculty. Almost
all of them stopped feeding paper after one year. They developed a
"fix kit" for it, that added another few months of service. Finally
they offered a credit of $10 (maybe $25) toward another HP product. I
quit buying HP printers for several years.

One issue with buying non-HP is the supplies. It is very convenient
having Stores stock the popular HP toner parts. They seem resistant to
stocking Samsung toner.
-John