Has anybody seen this problem with a Vista Client where when the user tries to open files off of a SMB server they get an error:
“filename is locked for editing by “another user”.

This never happens it for .doc or .xls files only .docx and .xslx files.

The user has office 2007 SP2 with the latest updates.

You would think that indexing would be a read only access, anyways, I shut down the windows search service to see if the files are being indexed at the time, we still got the error.

There is no google desktop search installed and as far as I know no other program is accessing this persons files.    Indexing of that directory is turned off.

When I use the MMC to display the servers share and the files open, often times it will show the user has almost all if not all the files open in a read only mode, like they’re being indexed, preemptively scanned for viruses or something.

It only happens on this one vista machine, no other machines have this problem and we’ve already used a couple of antivirus programs to scan for malware.

I am going to download process explorer to see if that will tell me what program has the file handles  / files open.

Anybody observed this bizarre behavior, what’d you do to fix that.

LD

Lee Duynslager  LD
Information Technology
107 CIPS