Gary, try Windows Media Encoder to convert them to WMV's pretty quickly and painlessly. Multiple profiles available for the compression of videos, and best of all, free (and playable on Mac's as well with the Flip4Mac plugin for Quicktime).

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/encoder/default.mspx

Has worked for me numerous times in the past. /ch

-----Original Message-----
From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Gary Schrock
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:04 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] video formats supported by tech carts?

Anyone have any idea what video file formats are supported by the tech
carts in classrooms?  I have a professor that used to use certain videos
  embedded in power point presentations a while back (and I don't know
how far a while back was), but says at some point those carts were
updated and his videos stopped working.  So I'm trying to figure out a
way to easily make it so he can continue to do this.

It looks like the videos he has are Mpeg-2 files, so I'm not terribly
surprised that they don't work.  So I'd like to find an easy way to
convert them to something that will work on the carts with as little
loss in quality as possible.

Any thoughts?

Gary