I would say that you have even odds on problems with the towers
you're connecting to, and the phones themsevles.

Phones today are really badly made.  They aren't designed to
last; hinges wear out, flimsy plastic is used for screens,
battery and sim holders aren't well made, etc etc etc.

I use T-Mobile (Tenuous Mobile!) and of the 5 or so phones
we've had, there has been a tremendous variance in the way
they operate.  One had a very weak transmitter, such that I
always knew if I wandered too far away from a tower that I'd
get hung up on, and a couple were noticeably better in terms
of sensitivity, such that I know my phone will work better
in weak places than the same model phone which my wife has.

I know that T-Mobile has had problems in the past with the
tower which most of campus used in 2007.  As soon as I got
out of the area the weird noises I got would just stop.  All
the T-Mobile "help" disk would do was want to test my phone.
Feh.

Good luck, and try using another phone, and try to keep a
log of where these problems are.  You might notice a trend
somewhere.

--STeve Andre'