At 10:41 AM -0400 10/2/09, Richard Wiggins wrote:
Apparently I've caused a bit of tempest in the teapot.  I'lve had one jackass hang up on me and another threaten me.  Wow!  We alll need less drama.

So let's all simmer down, myself included.

Here are the points I was trying to make:

1. MSU has made an intitutional statement that students and staff must use mail.msu.edu to receive official e-mail.

This makes sense to me.  Many people I know switch from Yahoo to Comcast to Google to Whatever but their MSU ID always stays the same.  I suspect there are some legal issues here as well.

2. MSU's official central e-mail system is mail.msu.edu.

This is where I get confused about your argument. As been stated a dozen times before there are two parts to the the e-mail system.  The web front end, which could be a lot faster, but actually seems to work O.K. for me. And there is the back end that can be accessed by any number of clients.  Who is making you use the web interface?

3.Most people use Gmail or another provider for their e-mail.  If most of the MSU community doesn't use mail.msu.edu, then therefore they need an obvious way to auto-forward.

Do you have some statistics on mail provider usage by MSU students and staff.  Where would I find these?

4. Mail.msu.edu hides the auto forward function. The expected options are along a ribbon bar as one would expect.  The most important option on mail.msu.edu is hidden under an obscure label of "MSU Prefs."

After you original e-mail I was curious how hard it was to forward my MSU e-mail.  It took me three clicks to find it (options, mail.msu.edu, MSU Prefs) not the hour long nightmare you describe.  I then went to the main MSU search page and typed "forward mail" this returned one hit that told me exactly where to look.

Could the interface be better? Probably.  Is it terrible?  I don't think so.

 So let's make this clear: the leading land grand university hides how to receive communications from the institution.  This is not optimal.

Folks, I've mostly laid under radio silence for a year.  I will now go back into silence.  Googbye and good luck.