From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Richard Wiggins
Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 3:14 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] Digital preservation: a sad link rot story from MSU Web
space

Several years ago I compiled a list of sources about history of MSU.
Someone was asking online about MSU's name over the years and I went to look
it up.

Sadly, it turns out that many of the sources have removed or renamed the
pages.

If you go to www.msu.edu and search for "history" you'll find:

History of Michigan State University
http://keywords.msu.edu/viewpathfinder.asp?id=7

And it is surprising how many links that describe important MSU history have
become broken:

Vincent Voice Library Finding Aid.
http://www.lib.msu.edu/services/dmc/vincent//findaids/

A Brief History of the College of Human Medicine
http://www.chm.msu.edu/chmhome/home/history.htm

MSU Presidents - Biographical Sketches
https://www.msu.edu/unit/msuarhc/presdnt.html

WKAR Television - Historical Note
http://wkar.org/tv/about/index.php#history

I hope folks that care about MSU history will restore these links, and I
hope someone will edit the Pathfinder to point to the content.

It's not just about preserving the bits; breaking URLs breaks history.

/rich