Rich,

For my small department, I'm thinking that all of our applications
will run directly under Win7. If someone has something that needs XP,
they just won't be moved to Win7 until alternatives are found.

While I use virtualization for some of my own needs (Fusion on a
recent iMac), and big time on servers (ESXi on recent Dell), I don't
have any plans to roll out VM to regular faculty & staff.

Not sure what your requirements are ... could you just use VMware
Player or Server? I haven't tried those with WIn7, but it seems like
VMware should have it running by now.
-John

PS - I was also underwhelmed by the new DirectAccess feature.  It was
billed as an easy VPN replacement, if you were using Win7 + W2k8R2. I
had high hopes for that, but then looked at the "quick start" guide
(59 pages). Lots of requirements: must be running WIndows DNS, windows
certificate authority, etc. I decided to try an open source vpn first.