While I'm generally on the side of stable URLs and at least not letting them rot through carelessness and neglect, David does bring up some valid points.   I am reminded of something I once heard Le Roy Barnett (former head reference archivist at the state archives) say on the phone to a caller.   He explained to the caller (as only Le Roy Barnett could do) that the archives are more in the business of destroying information than preserving it.   He gave some figures which I don't remember about the proportion of governmental records that they destroy vs the amount that they preserve.   Maybe that's a standard line in the archive business, but for me it was a new way of thinking about it. They are selective about what they preserve.

John Gorentz