We have a continuous integration server running CruiseControl.Net to
monitor our subversion archives for changes, check them out, build them,
and publish the changes to needed websites. It is configured to e-mail
the user(s) who checked in code changes since the last time it build, as
well as the lead programmers in case the build fails to compile. When I
configure it to send mail through an external server, for example, using
my personal gmail account, everything works fine (I can find the message
in my Gmail "sent mail" folder and I receive it at my @msu.edu address).
When I configure it to send mail through mail.msu.edu using a
departmental netid and password, the mail never arrives (there's no
bounceback message or copy of it in the sent folder either).
CruiseControl does not have detailed logging for the send e-mail step,
but it does have enough logging to tell me that it is sending a message
and what address(es) it's sending to, so I can see that it is still
trying to send the mail to the correct location. Still, since the system
works fine when configured for gmail, and doesn't work when the only
change is to use mail.msu.edu, I have to wonder if there's a blacklist
eating our e-mail.

Anybody have any experience with this sort of problem and know what
might be causing it (and better yet, how to fix it)?

Relevant part of configuration file:
G-mail setup:
<email includeDetails="true" from="[log in to unmask]"
mailhost="smtp.gmail.com" mailport="587"
mailhostUsername="[log in to unmask]" mailhostPassword="XXXX" useSSL="true">

MSU setup:
<email from="[log in to unmask]" mailhost="mail.msu.edu" useSSL="true"
         mailhostUsername="uoebuild" mailhostPassword="XXXX"
         mailport="465" includeDetails="true">

Thanks in advance for any help,
Carl

--