Thank you for helping us promote our Harvest Dinner.  Please see a flyer and the press release attached.

For additional information, contact:

Colleen K. Crane, The Capuchin Province of St. Joseph

414.374.8841, ext. 27   (cell)  414.254.2808

Lisa Richter

313-579-2100 ext. 204, [log in to unmask]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CAPUCHIN SOUP KITCHEN’S URBAN FARM HOSTS HARVEST DINNER

Detroit, MI (August 6, 2009) … The Capuchin Soup Kitchen’s Earthworks Urban Farm will be hosting its second annual Harvest Dinner, Saturday, September 12, celebrating working together for food justice.

The event will be held at Gleaners Community Food Bank, a longtime partner, 2131 Beaufait, Detroit.

This year’s event will feature a talk by long-time Detroit activist for sustainable communities and social justice, Grace Lee Boggs. The dinner will be a selection of dishes made from recipes submitted by many of Earthwork’s partners.  Organizations such as SEED Wayne, the Greening of Detroit, and the Detroit Black Community Food Security Network shared a favorite in-season recipe for the occasion.

A social hour in the garden will begin at 5 pm with light appetizers and garden tours, weather permitting.  The dinner will be sourced entirely of local SE Michigan food and will be prepared by local chefs assisted by Earthworks’ teen farmers (Youth Farm Stand) and local volunteers.

“We hope to gather together with our partners, friends, neighbors, and community members to slow down for a moment, to celebrate our hard work, to reflect, and to fill our bellies for the upcoming winter” says Patrick Crouch, Program Manager for Earthworks

“True to the Capuchin Soup Kitchen’s philosophy that one should not have to be privileged to eat well, we are pricing tickets according to ones ability to pay,” Alison Costello, Meldrum Capuchin Soup manager explains.  “Tickets will be priced $15-$100.” Attendees are encouraged to sponsor a ticket for $25 for those in our community who otherwise may not be able to attend.

Ticket information is available online at www.cskdetroit.org/earthworks or calling 313-579-2100, ext 204.  Reservation deadline is Friday, September 4.

Founded in 1929, the Capuchin Soup Kitchen serves Metro Detroit by providing food, clothing, and spiritual counsel to those in need.  Frequently preparing and serving 2,000 meals a day, the Capuchin Soup Kitchen also distributes household items and operates a shower program, food pantry, and children’s tutoring and art therapy program.

www.cskdetroit.org   www.thecapuchins.org      ####

If you would like to access a searchable archive of the all the previous Mich-Organic listserv postings copy this URL and paste in your browser address field http://list.msu.edu/archives/mich-organic.html