MICHIGAN
REPORT

The Capitol Record Since 1906

REPORT NO. 161, VOLUME 48-- FRIDAY, AUGUST 21 2009

BISHOP: BUDGET TALKS SNAGGED AS EFFORTS CONTINUE

Negotiations to strike a deal on the 2009-10 fiscal year budget have
moved into a phase where progress has stalled, said Senate Majority
Leader Mike Bishop
<http://www.gongwer.com/index.cfm?link=bio.cfm&nameid=17501&locid=1> .

Still, Mr. Bishop (R-Rochester) told Gongwer News Service in an
interview this week that lulls happen in the process.

"You'll hit those. In every negotiation, you'll hit a point where you
plateau," he said. "But on any given day, it can bounce one way or the
other. That's why you've got to keep the discussion and dialogue going."

Mr. Bishop's comments come after Senate Minority Leader Mike Prusi
<http://www.gongwer.com/index.cfm?link=bio.cfm&nameid=28201&locid=1>
(D-Ishpeming) told Gongwer last week that budget talks had hit a
"standstill" with the October 1 start of the fiscal year looming ever
closer.

Governor Jennifer Granholm
<http://www.gongwer.com/index.cfm?link=bio.cfm&nameid=6701&locid=1>  and
legislative Democrats have said the state needs to raise new revenue on
top of federal stimulus money to avoid excessive cuts to programs while
Mr. Bishop and the Republican-controlled Senate have preferred the plan
it passed to solve the $2.8 billion deficit through spending cuts and
the stimulus funds.

Mr. Bishop said the negotiations with Ms. Granholm have covered all
manner of possible tax increases.

Asked if the proposal Ms. Granholm reportedly has made to apply the 6
percent sales tax to entertainment and sporting event tickets came up,
Mr. Bishop said, "We've had lots of discussions about various different
things - wine, beer, water, air, who knows? But we've never had a
serious discussion about all the ones that she's serious about. It just
seems like, you know, you throw them all out there and then you can say,
'I warned you.'"

Granholm press secretary Liz Boyd declined to respond.

"Because the governor and the leadership have agreed to hold their
conversations in confidence, I'm not going to respond to any
characterizations the Senate majority leader has made about those
conversations," she said.

Ms. Boyd said the governor and the Quadrant continue to have
"constructive conversations" and everyone agrees on meeting the deadline
to avoid a shutdown. Tempers have occasionally flared, but they are
making progress, Ms. Boyd said.

And Mr. Bishop lambasted the proposed tax on event tickets. The issue is
particularly notable for Mr. Bishop because he has three major
entertainment venues in his district - the Palace of Auburn Hills, DTE
Energy Music Theater and Meadow Brook Theater.

"It's one of the dumbest ideas that I've seen in this whole discussion,"
he said. "That hits families right in the pocketbook at a time when they
can least afford it. People want to go to a ballgame, they want to go to
the theater, they want to go to a live event. It's one of the very few
things that we have right now to do as a family."

Mr. Bishop said, as he has many times, that there are no Senate
Republican votes for a tax increase. But he said the Senate GOP is open
to reducing or eliminating some tax exemptions if they are failing to
generate economic growth and if the revenue they create goes toward
reducing the hated Michigan Business Tax surcharge.

"That would be our ultimate goal," he said.

Ms. Boyd said the governor supports repealing the surcharge if other
revenues can be found to replace the money it generates.

Despite a growing chorus of criticism about some of the possible
spending cuts - there seemed to be at least one group protesting every
day this week at the Capitol - Mr. Bishop said Senate Republicans stand
by their plan.

But Mr. Bishop did appear to show willingness to negotiate on the
controversial cuts the Senate-passed budget made to college
scholarships. The Senate eliminated the Michigan Promise Grant to save
$80.5 million, as well as sharply reducing funding for competitive
scholarships, tuition grants and nursing grants.

Asked if Senate Republicans were steadfast on the scholarship cuts, Mr.
Bishop said, "That's all part of negotiation. We as a caucus have always
identified education as a priority. That was not easy. ... We did that
with great trepidation. It was one of those realities that we had to
live with."

Mr. Bishop said Senate Republicans continue to polish their proposal in
an effort to find common ground, and that talks continue is a good sign.

"I hate to be in a position where somewhere down the road in September,
we haven't talked openly about every option," he said. "That's where we
get into trouble because you end up on October 1 in the early morning
and the people don't even know what's going on. We want to be as
transparent as possible, and I think that's the biggest difference
between last time and this time."

Ms. Granholm has sought to reassure residents the state would not repeat
the temporary government shutdown that occurred in 2007. Mr. Bishop said
that experience "was a disaster, and we just don't want to repeat it."

Of a possible shutdown this year, Mr. Bishop said, "Sure there's that
prospect. That's always possible."

But that's why, unlike 2007, Senate Republicans passed their own plan,
Mr. Bishop said.

Another change is that Ms. Granholm and Democratic-led House are not
presenting competing proposals, Mr. Bishop said. Republicans wanted the
Democrats to present joint proposals this year so it would be a clear
two-sided negotiation, Mr. Bishop said.

Dillon spokesman Dan Farough said he could not reach House Speaker Andy
Dillon
<http://www.gongwer.com/index.cfm?link=bio.cfm&nameid=105001&locid=1>
(D-Redford Twp.) to respond to Mr. Bishop's characterization of the
process.

M.E.G.A.: Mr. Bishop said he is pleased with Sen. Nancy Cassis
<http://www.gongwer.com/index.cfm?link=bio.cfm&nameid=18701&locid=1> '
thorough review of a bill that would expand the number of tax credits
that the Michigan Economic Growth Authority can offer from 400 to 500.
The Granholm administration has been anxious for the Senate to act on HB
4922
<http://www.gongwer.com/index.cfm?link=legislation_billdetail.cfm&code=H
B%204922&billid=2009HB492201&locid=1>
<http://www.gongwer.com/index.cfm?link=legislation_querymanager.cfm&loci
d=1&SR=1&Session=2009&BillType=HB&BillNum=4922> since House passage of
the legislation more than two months ago.

Administration officials say without the bills, it cannot offer any more
tax credits until January to lure economic development. Ms. Cassis
(R-Novi), chair of the Senate Finance Committee, has said she wants the
government to show more transparency in the data about the credits (SB
71
<http://www.gongwer.com/index.cfm?link=legislation_billdetail.cfm&code=S
B%2071&billid=2009SB7101&locid=1>
<http://www.gongwer.com/index.cfm?link=legislation_querymanager.cfm&loci
d=1&SR=1&Session=2009&BillType=SB&BillNum=71> ).

"I think that Senator Cassis is asking the exact question that she
should," Mr. Bishop said. "We just want to make sure we're not throwing
good money after bad. If you look at these MEGA credits over time, they
have not been performing the way they should."

SMOKING BAN: Mr. Bishop reiterated that the Senate Government Operations
and Reform Committee that he chairs would not take up a bill to ban
smoking in most workplaces until after officials wrap up budget work (HB
4377
<http://www.gongwer.com/index.cfm?link=legislation_billdetail.cfm&code=H
B%204377&billid=2009HB437701&locid=1>
<http://www.gongwer.com/index.cfm?link=legislation_querymanager.cfm&loci
d=1&SR=1&Session=2009&BillType=HB&BillNum=4377> ).

H.A.L. BREAK-UP: Mr. Bishop said the Senate will seriously consider
rejecting Ms. Granholm's executive order eliminating the Department of
History, Arts and Libraries (SCR 18
<http://www.gongwer.com/index.cfm?link=legislation_billdetail.cfm&code=S
CR%2018&billid=2009SCR1801&locid=1>
<http://www.gongwer.com/index.cfm?link=legislation_querymanager.cfm&loci
d=1&SR=1&Session=2009&BillType=SCR&BillNum=18> ).

Mr. Bishop said the transfer of assets to Michigan State University is
particularly troubling.

"We're definitely looking at that," he said. "We're concerned about some
of the jewels of the state."

The House also would have to reject the executive order to nullify it.
When a governor hits a legislative roadblock with an executive order,
sometimes he or she will withdraw it and issue a new one that addresses
the concerns.

Mr. Bishop said the Senate has not broached "that subject with the
administration yet, but that's the kind of outcome that I think would be
of value now."

2010 ELECTIONS: Mr. Bishop said he is confident that Republicans can
extend their winning streak in the Senate and maintain control of the
chamber for another four years.

Republicans won control of the Senate in 1984. A 2010 victory would
extend their streak to 30 years and eclipse the most recent winning
streak a party held on a house of the Legislature when Democrats ruled
the House from 1967-92.

2006 and 2008 were disastrous election years for Republicans in
Michigan, but Mr. Bishop said the backlash to the growth in federal
spending under President Barack Obama and fatigue with Ms. Granholm will
boost the GOP here.

"We're seeing the pendulum start to swing the other way," he said. "I
think momentum is building forward behind the Republican cause right
now."

Mr. Bishop said he has not yet decided who to support in the race for
the Republican gubernatorial nomination. He said only that the party has
"got a lot of great candidates."

CON-CON: Mr. Bishop said he hopes voters reject the call for a
constitutional convention in next year's elections, saying he is worried
about opportunists trying to completely rewrite the Michigan
Constitution after the Michigan Democratic Party's attempted
constitutional amendment in 2008. Reminded that voters would choose the
delegates and have the final say on a proposed new constitution, Mr.
Bishop said, "I do have confidence in the system. I just don't think
this is the right environment."

Pamela Ann Martell

Higher Education Consultant

King-Chavez-Parks (KCP) Initiative

Michigan Department of Energy, Labor & Economic Growth

201 N. Washington Square

Victor Office Center, 3rd Floor

Lansing, MI 48913

Direct Line: (517) 335-3009