From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jesse Howard
Sent: Monday, July 27, 2009 10:26 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] Demoting DC that can't replicate

I have an old domain controller that has been having DNS and replication errors for some time now. The PDC in the domain was recently brought up to windows 2003 server service pack 2, and now replication with the failing DC is completely gone. The current PDC is holding all FSMO roles. My question is; can I safely ADPREP the domain, DCPROMO a new DC (2003 R2), and then demote the old DC that can't replicate?

Thanks,

Jesse Howard

IT Administrator
Michigan State University Press