Dear GeoEd Research Community and Friends,

We'd like to let you know about a session we are
organizing for the American Geophysical Union's
(AGU) Fall 2009 Meeting.  The session's reference
number and title are:
ED14. Geocognition and Geoscience Education
Research: Why Do It, Who Does It, What Academic
Departments Support It, and What Geoscience
Community Support Can Guide the Development of New
Geoscience Education Research Programs?

Desription of the Session: Geocognition and
geoscience education research is an emerging field
of research that uses quantitative and qualitative
methods to further our understanding of how students
and experts perceive, learn, and apply geological
principles and concepts. At least 18 U.S.
universities now offer graduate programs engaged in
this kind of research, and there exists interest
among other institutions in developing similar
programs. Abstracts are solicited from institutions
in which this kind of research is currently being
conducted in earth and/or space sciences. Abstracts
should discuss the history of the inception of the
research program, major programmatic and research
results achieved thus far, and how the program is
currently sustained. The session is intended as a
forum for learning how existing programs were
conceived and operate and for dialogue between those
in existing programs and those considering the
development of such programs.

Please consider submitting an abstract and letting
others know about this session.

Warm Regards,
Leilani Arthurs, Doug Duncan, & Julie Libarkin

Leilani Arthurs, Ph.D.
Science Education Initiative
Geological Sciences Department
University of Colorado at Boulder
Office: Benson Earth Sciences Bldg, Rm 365
Phone: 303-492-7025
Email: [log in to unmask]