    Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 17:09:54 -0700
    From: Steven Semken <[log in to unmask]>
    Subject: Re: nature of science survey
    To: [log in to unmask]
    >Hi Andrea
    >
    >The CTSR is a test of scientific reasoning in
    problem-solving; not so much a pure NOS survey,
    but a good test of scientific habits of mind and
    hypothetico-deductive reasoning complementary to
    understanding of NOS. Some, but not all, of the
    items are based in experimental methods. I put the
    instrument out there just in case it proves of use
    (e.g., in triangulation).

    >I don't think NOSS is online, but I e-mailed Tony
    to check on this.

    >Cheers
    >Steve
    >
    >Steven Semken, Ph.D., Associate Professor
    >School of Earth and Space Exploration
    >Arizona State University
    >POB 871404, Tempe AZ 85287 USA
    >http://semken.asu.edu

    behalf of Andrea R Bair
    >Sent: Mon 13-Jul-09 16:51
    >To: [log in to unmask]
    >Subject: Re: nature of science survey
    >
    >Hi Julie and Elizabeth (and others interested)
    >I'm not familiar with the NOSS, but have used
    both the Lawson Test of
    >scientific reasoning and the VNOS (Views on the
    Nature of Science
    >Survey). The Lawson test is, as I recall,
    primarily focused on
    >experimental methods, which may or may not be
    what you're after. The
    >VNOS is a set of open-ended questions, and is
    available (along with
    >references) at:
    >
    >http://www.flaguide.org/tools/diagnostic/views_of_nature_questionnaire.php
    >
    >Steve, is there a reference or weblink to the
    NOSS?

    >cheers,
    >Andrea
    >

    >Steven Semken wrote:
    >> My colleague Tony Lawson developed a Classroom
    Test of Scientific Reasoning and a Nature of
    Science Survey. The CTSR is valid and reliable and
    has been used in a number of peer-reviewed
    studies. I believe the NOSS, which is newer, has
    also been validated--but I am not certain of this.
    Julie and Elizabeth, I'll send them to you
    separately. Anyone else who would like them is
    welcome to e-mail me at [log in to unmask]

    >> Julie Libarkin also developed a NOS survey--see
    JGE v.49 p. 435.

    >> Best regards,
    >> Steve
    >>
    >> Steven Semken, Ph.D., Associate Professor
    >> School of Earth and Space Exploration
    >> Arizona State University
    >> POB 871404, Tempe AZ 85287 USA
    >> http://semken.asu.edu

    behalf of Elizabeth A. Nagy-Shadman
    >> Sent: Mon 13-Jul-09 15:55
    >> To: [log in to unmask]
    >> Subject: Re: nature of science survey
    >>
    >> If someone has something for Julie, I'd
    appreciate a copy, too!
    >> Thanks!
    >> Elizabeth
    >>
    >> Elizabeth Shadman, Ph.D.
    >> Natural Sciences Division, E210D
    >> Pasadena City College
    >> 1570 E. Colorado Blvd.
    >> Pasadena, CA 91106
    >>
    >> Chair, GSA Geoscience Education Division
    >>
    >> office: 626-585-3369
    >> fax: 626-585-7978

    behalf of Julie Sexton
    >> Sent: Mon 7/13/2009 1:25 PM
    >> To: [log in to unmask]
    >> Subject: nature of science survey
    >>

    >> Colleagues,
    >>

    >> I am looking for a nature of science instrument
    that I can
    >> administer to elementary teachers participating
    in a professional development
    >> program. I would like to administer the
    instrument pre and post to investigate
    >> change in teachers knowledge of the nature of
    science.

    >> Does anybody have a recommendation for a valid
    and reliable
    >> nature of science instrument that would be
    appropriate for teachers in a PD
    >> program?
    >>

    >> You can send suggestions to me at
    >> Regards, Julie
    >>

    >> ----------------------
    >> Julie Sexton, Ph.D.
    >> Research Associate, Geoscience Education
    >> Math and Science Teaching Institute
    >> University of Northern Colorado
    >>

    >--
    >Andrea Bair, PhD
    >Research Associate, Science Teaching Fellow
    >Department of Geological Sciences, Science
    Education Initiative
    >University of Colorado at Boulder
    >Email: [log in to unmask]
    >Tel: 303.492.7025

Eric J. Pyle, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Geology and Environmental Science
James Madison University
MSC 6903
Harrisonburg, VA  22807

540.568.7115
7100A Memorial Hall

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it"

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam