Greetings,

Michael Wysession, Washington University and I hope to conveen the session
below at GSA 2009 in Porland.  We hope that you might consider submitting
any talks related to promoting Earth science literacy broadly to the public
or through the K-12 or undergraduate systems.

PROMOTING LITERACY ABOUT EARTH SYSTEM SCIENCE CONCEPTS *Number in Call for
Papers:* T107
*Title:* Promoting Literacy About Earth System Science Concepts
*Session Type:* Oral

*Scientific Categories: *Geoscience Education, Public Policy, Geoscience
Information/Communication
*Sponsor: *National Association of Geoscience Teachers
*Rationale:* Scarcity of energy resources, workforce development, and
international competitiveness are all compelling reasons to promote Earth
system science literacy. There is also a need for an informed public to make
decisions about politically- charged topics such as climate change and
evolution. Multiple documents that define the main themes and supporting
concepts underpinning ocean, atmospheric, and earth science provide the
scientific and education communities with a valuable tool. These documents
have been used to design museum exhibits, write textbooks and curricula, and
to communicate a unified message to the public. We hope to continue the
dialogue about how the geoscience community can build upon the momentum of
these efforts.

Cheers!
Nicole

Nicole LaDue
Earth Science Literacy Initiative Organizing Committee
Michigan State University starting 8/09