Colleagues,

I am in the market for a new video camera for research. It will mainly be
used to record interviews, so I don't need super high quality audio or video
(no Hi-Def). I'm looking in the $500 and under range. Needs to be Windows XP
compatible.

My main concern is that the camera records in a format that is easy to edit
and transfer to other programs. I currently have an older model JVC Everio,
and have found that it is next to impossible to get the videos to play in
any programs other than what came with the camera (e.g., they won't play in
Quicktime or Media Player). I'm hoping to avoid this problem with the new
camera.

Any recommended brands and models, or brands/models to avoid?

Thanks for your suggestions,
Heather

Heather L. Petcovic
Assistant Professor
Department of Geosciences and
The Mallinson Institute for Science Education
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo, MI 49008

269-387-5488 (Geosciences)
269-387-5380 (Science Education)