From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Al Puzzuoli
Sent: Monday, June 22, 2009 1:27 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] Life expectancy of Laptop AC Adaptors?

Just wondering what others have experienced in terms of the robustness
of Laptop AC Adaptors?

Our department has 15 Toshiba Tecra M5 machines, which were purchased
almost four years ago.  At the time, we got two identical adaptors per
computer, one with each unit, and another with the dock.
I'm still in  the process of figuring out the numbers, but we seem to be
experiencing a serious failure rate.  Over the past few weeks, several
users have shown me their adaptors and in each instance, there is a
break right at the root of the fixed portion of the cord coming out of
the power brick.  Until now, users hadn't taken the time to report the
issue- they had either swapped the adaptor with the one on their dock,
or just put tape on the break to hold it together.  I think now, I'm
dealing with a case of the "me toos".  People are talking, realizing
they have the same problem, and bringing it to my attention.  I wouldn't
be surprised if 50% of these are broken.

I spoke with Jeff Mikosz from Toshiba.  Although we have a full onsite
warranty for these machines ending in 2010, the power supplies  are not
part of that and are only covered for 1 year.  Okay, fine.  I wouldn't
have a problem with that, I think it's fairly standard in the industry;
However, at what point does a typical failure rate end, and concern
about a flawed product begin?

Thanks,

Al Puzzuoli

Michigan State University

Information Technologist
http://www.rcpd.msu.edu

Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities

120 Bessey Hall East Lansing, MI  48824-1033

517-884-1915

signature database 4178 (20090622) __________

http://www.eset.com

signature database 4181 (20090623) __________