From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Richard Wiggins
Sent: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 10:27 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] Mysterious problem with ALPS touchpad on HP DV3500

I bought an HP DV3500 laptop late last fall.  This is a model HP custom made for Best Buy.  Running Wndows Home Premium 64.  I have a very strange problem with the touchpad.  When I close the clamshell and put it to sleep, it ofter wakes up in a state where the touchpad does bizarre things.  It won't select applications on the task bar.  When IE goes to Work Offline mode, the dialog box that pops up won't select -- exactly 3 times.  On the 3rd try it always selects and then IE goes back online.

The driver on my computer is newer than the driver HP offers online -- scary.

I have found that if I use Task Manager to kill and restart explorer.exe the problem goes away.

I'm not able to find any information online about this problem.  Any searches I do for ALPS are complicated by a certain mountain range.

This is pretty low-volume computer and this is a very obscure problem so I know this is a long shot, but if anyone has any theories I'd be curious.

/rich