  Sponsors needed for the Michigan Sustainable Stoup Competition

October 25, 2009, Michigan Sustainable Stoup Competition is a fundraiser for Michigan Envirothon (a non-profit statewide environmental competition that gives high school students outdoor, hands on experience with nature, agriculture and the ecology that surrounds it. These are the young adults who will be the next scientist, foresters, wildlife biologists and farmers.) The event will be held at the Red Salamander in Grand Ledge, MI. The goal is to have hundreds of participants from around the state, and hope that the community comes out for an afternoon of eating a variety of sustainably made stew and soups as well as a Michigan wine, cider and beer tastings.

What is Sustainable Stoup? It is a soup or a stew that individuals (using a commercial

kitchen) or restaurants create in which 75% of the ingredients volume (water doesn't

count) is from Michigan. We may consider switching the requirement to a 100 mile

radius for future competitions. We want to broaden the awareness and support for locally raised food and encourage individuals to grow their own food in their backyard or find a nearby farm, CSA or farmer's market where they can buy their produce and protein. We will have several different categories for our competitors: 100% local, allergen friendly, organic, youth and vegetarian; however, we are planning one overall winner.

The goal of the event is to raise $15,000 for Envirothon. SPONSORS ARE STILL NEEDED FOR THIS EVENT. Our sponsor’s logos will be proudly displayed on the poster as well as event information. You will also be mentioned as a sponsor on the 3 fold flyer we are developing to market the event. We will distribute the flyers around the state and ask that they be handed out at farmer’s markets, wineries, restaurants, breweries, food co-ops and at your office or agency. At the event a large banner listing the sponsors and their level (platinum to bronze), along with their name on the event program will be displayed. Any tee shirts printed for the event will have sponsor logos on them. The sponsorship levels are:

$2000+ Platinum Sponsorship (includes the opportunity to be a competition judge)

$1000 + Gold Sponsorship

$500 + Silver Sponsorship

$300+ Bronze Sponsorship

Prize donations for the winners

Just a reminder, contributions to Michigan Envirothon are fully tax-deductible as it is incorporated as a 501(c)(3), making it even easier to become a sponsor! Checks can be made out to Michigan Envirothon and sent to:

Attn: Svenja Drebes

3001 Coolidge Rd

Suite 250

East Lansing, MI 48823

Thank you and we hope to see

Visit www.michiganorganic.msu.edu for press release announcements for sponsorships and committee volunteers.

  Participants needed to join planning committees for sustainable stoup competition

Participants needed to join planning committees to find sponsors, help market the event to potential competitors and attendees, or donating a prize for our winners. The plan to is begin advertising during the Farmers Market season, using poster and/or flyers at farmers markets, wineries and breweries and competing restaurants, promoting the event all season long.

For more information on how to get involved locally visit www.mcihiganenvirothon.org or contact Ginger Bardenhagen, Sustainable Stoup Competition Committee Chair Michigan Dept of Agriculture Conservation Programs Unit Field Staff (517)930-2121 or [log in to unmask]

If you would like to access a searchable archive of the all the previous Mich-Organic listserv postings copy this URL and paste in your browser address field http://list.msu.edu/archives/mich-organic.html