I believe the FAQ associated with the new directives addresses the issue
of personal opinion with respect to the family and friends of students
(see:
http://lct.msu.edu/guidelines-policies/appropriate-use-of-msu-email-faqs.html).

"This Administrative Ruling is intended to regulate unsolicited e-mail...."

Family and friends are persons with whom one has a personal affiliation,
and thus, would not seem to fall into the category of "unsolicited".
However, for University employees the FAQ notes that:

"When sending an e-mail from an MSU e-mail account to someone outside of
the University community, University employees should take great care to
explicitly note that the contents of their e-mail are personal and do
not represent the University."

So perhaps the moral of the story is don't use MSU email to express
personal opinions to persons outside of MSU if you are an
employee....or, make sure to add that disclaimer.