 ?letterdate ?I sent this letter to our Representative about the food safety bills in the house. I hope you all will take the time to write to your Representative!
                Cindy Dutcher
----- Original Message -----
From: Dutcher Farms
To: Congressman Bart Stupak
Sent: Sunday, April 05, 2009 12:50 PM
Subject: Re: From the Office of Congressman Bart Stupak

Dear Rep. Stupak,
   As a farmer and food processor, I am aware of the current regulations regarding food safety. There is plenty of regulatory oversight written into both the FDA and USDA food laws as well as the individual state laws, I am quite familiar with both and have 40 years of experience in the food business from the farm gate to the plate. The need for tracking is covered by HACCP, which was adopted by the USDA, FDA, and the food industry a decade ago, and there is plenty of regulation to cover closing a plant that is putting putrid and filthy food into the food chain. Food safety can be accomplished easily by having FDA and USDA enforce the current regulations, after all the Canadians did not have a problem with turning the peanuts away because they were "putrid", and I am sure that those same peanuts were inspected here and allowed to sicken and kill people.
  The problem that needs to be addressed is the revolving door policy at FDA and USDA that has caused both bureaucracies to become corrupt and completely inneffective. The practice of allowing industry employees to be hired by the regulatory agencies (and often having a financial interest or returning to those companies after working for the government) makes food and drug safety impossible. When a regulator has a vested interest in a company that they are responsible for regulating, the conflict of interest makes it much easier for the regulator to turn a blind eye to problems. As a small processor, it has been made quite clear that I am far more inspected than bigger plants, even though I sell only to folks in my community and have a moral obligation to them to produce a clean and wholesome product, after all the consumers who purchase food I process are my neighbors and friends. I do not have a staff or a legal team, so I am much more vulnerable to harassment from inspectors than a large company. Even if small business is exempt from fees, the burden and expense of registry when I am already registered with several other agencies is redundant. Creating another huge layer of regulation will only cause more expense and paperwork for small businesses, like my own, and it has not been small companies that have been causing these huge food borne illness outbreaks. I resent the idea of having to register my farm and my processing facility with yet another government agency, and will consider shutting the doors rather than be buried in another bureaucracy. This legislation will do nothing to resolve the problem with food safety.
                      Sincerely,
                      Cindy Dutcher, Dutcher Farm
                       25525 S. Angora Rd.
                       Goetzville, MI 49736