Skill to do comes of doing - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Frank,

I didn't want to broadcast to the group, but I did want to mention that UMW in Dillon, Montana, is on the block system (one class at a time). I teach all classes (except GEOL 101) in the field. The geoscience faculty (three strong) puts students in the field to collect data, but more importantly, we have them use those data to solve geological and geotechnical problems. There will be a paper describing this system in a GSA Special Paper volume that is slated to appear at the Portland GSA meeting in the fall.

As an example, in structure I have them map in extensional and compressional tectonic environments. They then use the data to (in the case of the extensional environment) deal with subdivision lots that are placed on an active fault, landslides, soil creep, liquefaction potential areas, etc. I have them place a house, well and septic on each lot and discuss the hazards in a report that is typical of the geotechnical reports that I used to write when I was in the industry. For the compressional exercise, they write a EA (we map on BLM property) describing extractive resource potential and the rules and regulations that must be followed for development. An interdisciplinary Field Studies class has been doing an analysis of stream restoration to help restore the endangered Arctic Grayling in the Big Hole River. We are in the field in that class for 2.5 weeks solid, followed by 1 week of data analysis and report writing. They produced a 150 page report assessing stream function, riparian vegetation, macroinvertebrates and stream habitat in 18 days!

So, I don't have a quote, but I know from experience that if undergraduate students are given challenging tasks in the field, treated like professionals and challenged with high expectations to produce good work, they deliver and walk away with portfolios that show more about what they can do than what they have memorized.

Do you have a field-based program at Portland CC? I am always interested in arranging 2+2 programs with campuses with students interested in a field and immersion-based approach. There are only a few other schools that do this, and they are private and expensive (e.g., Colorado College).

In any case, best of luck in finding a quote.......Rob

Robert C. Thomas, Ph.D.
Department of Environmental Sciences
The University of Montana Western
Dillon, MT 59725
(406) 683-7615

"I'll know my song well, before I start singin'"...Dylan