Maine East High School uses the AGI-NAGT lab manual and supplements it with a healthy dose of GIS labs, other on-line virtual lab activities and several "get your hands dirty" labs such as stream tables, glacial till analysis, groundwater models, simulating glacial flow with flubber, etc. In addition we do mineral and rock labs based on our collection and incorporate at least 2 field experiences into the course. The course has been taught at the level of an introductory physical geology course and uses Tarbuck and Lutgens Earth, 9th ed as a text. (Incidentally we received approval from our local community college to offer the course as a dual-credit course beginning with the 2009-10 school year!)

regards,
Aida

Aida A. Awad
Science Department Chair
Maine East High School
2601 W. Dempster Street
Park Ridge, IL 60068
847-825-4484

>>> "Schimmrich, Steven" <[log in to unmask]> 4/27/2009 1:37 PM >>>

At our community college, I use the AGI-NAGT lab manual for our Physical Geology course.  I hand out my own labs which utilize the lab manual but often ask different questions (or the same questions in different ways) based on our own collection of minerals, rocks, and maps as well as our location.  I also incorporate other activities (e.g. local stream gauge data and flood frequency analysis) and a couple of my labs are taught in the field on the outcrop.

Steven H. Schimmrich, Associate Professor & Department Chair
Math, Sciences, Engineering, & Technology, Burroughs 105-G
SUNY Ulster County Community College, 491 Cottekill Road
Stone Ridge, NY 12484      845-687-7683; FAX 845-687-5083

http://people.sunyulster.edu/schimmrs

Education is the progressive discovery of our own ignorance