Skill to do comes of doing - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Frank,

I didn't want to broadcast to the group, but I did want to mention
that UMW in Dillon, Montana, is on the block system (one class at a
time). I teach all classes (except GEOL 101) in the field. The
geoscience faculty (three strong) puts students in the field to
collect data, but more importantly, we have them use those data to
solve geological and geotechnical problems. There will be a paper
describing this system in a GSA Special Paper volume that is slated to
appear at the Portland GSA meeting in the fall.

As an example, in structure I have them map in extensional and
compressional tectonic environments. They then use the data to (in the
case of the extensional environment) deal with subdivision lots that
are placed on an active fault, landslides, soil creep, liquefaction
potential areas, etc. I have them place a house, well and septic on
each lot and discuss the hazards in a report that is typical of the
geotechnical reports that I used to write when I was in the industry.
For the compressional exercise, they write a EA (we map on BLM
property) describing extractive resource potential and the rules and
regulations that must be followed for development. An
interdisciplinary Field Studies class has been doing an analysis of
stream restoration to help restore the endangered Arctic Grayling in
the Big Hole River. We are in the field in that class for 2.5 weeks
solid, followed by 1 week of data analysis and report writing. They
produced a 150 page report assessing stream function, riparian
vegetation, macroinvertebrates and stream habitat in 18 days!

So, I don't have a quote, but I know from experience that if
undergraduate students are given challenging tasks in the field,
treated like professionals and challenged with high expectations to
produce good work, they deliver and walk away with portfolios that
show more about what they can do than what they have memorized.

Do you have a field-based program at Portland CC? I am always
interested in arranging 2+2 programs with campuses with students
interested in a field and immersion-based approach. There are only a
few other schools that do this, and they are private and expensive
(e.g., Colorado College).

In any case, best of luck in finding a quote.......Rob

Robert C. Thomas, Ph.D.
Department of Environmental Sciences
The University of Montana Western
Dillon, MT 59725
(406) 683-7615
http://www.umwestern.edu/envirosci/

"I'll know my song well, before I start singin'"...Dylan