    Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 04:38:24 -0600
    From: Frank Granshaw <[log in to unmask]>
    Subject: Fieldwork and the geosciences
    To: [log in to unmask]

    Hello all...
    I am looking for three items of information that I
    am hoping some of you may be able to help me with.
     The first of these is your favorite quote
    regarding the importance of fieldwork in
    constructing geoscience knowledge.  One that I've
    found thus far comes from Rob Butler's "Teaching
    Geoscience through Fieldwork"
    It  is  quite  possible  to  acquire  a
    considerable  knowledge  of  Geology  by  the
    mere  intelligent perusal  of  text-books.
    Without  having  engaged  in  practical  work,
    one  may  even  learn to  read  a  geological
    map,  and  come  to  understand  in  a  general
    way  the  structure  of  the region  it  portrays.
    Knowledge  obtained  in  this  fashion,  however,
    is  necessarily  superficial, and  can  never
    supply  the  place  of  personal  observation  or
    study  in  the  field.
    James  Geikie  (1912)
    While this one does a pretty good job explaining
    the importance of fieldwork to geology education,
    it misses the mark in terms of the importance of
    fieldwork in constructing the body of knowledge.
     The other two items I'm looking for are
    references regarding the nature and frequency of
    fieldwork in K-16 classrooms and in teacher
    education in geoscience.  Most of what I'm finding
    here seems to be for the UK, which is interesting,
    but not very useful when talking to folks here in
    the states.
    Thanks for whatever info you might be able to send
    in my direction
    Cheers
    Frank G.
    Frank D. Granshaw
    Earth Science Instructor
    Portland Community College
    Sylvania Campus
    Portland, OR
    503-977-8236

Eric J. Pyle, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Geology and Environmental Science
James Madison University
MSC 6903
Harrisonburg, VA  22807

540.568.7115
7100A Memorial Hall

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it"

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam