Cathy,
  I saw that... a wonderful honor for her!   I will be at that awards
ceremony as my collegue from Rice University - Patricia Reiff won the
Athelstan Spilhaus award.  I wrote a letter in support of her nomination.
Tamara
___________________________________
Tamara Shapiro Ledley, PhD
Senior Scientist, TERC
2067 Massachusetts Ave
Cambridge, MA 02140
phone: 617-873-9658; fax: 617-349-3535

Cathy Manduca <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: GEOEDUCATION RESEARCH INTEREST GROUP
04/22/2009 11:33 AM
Please respond to
GEOEDUCATION RESEARCH INTEREST GROUP <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Kastens wins AGU Education Prize

Hi all-
Thought you would like to know that Kim Kastens has been selected to
receive the AGU Prize for Excellence in Geophysical Education this year.
The prize recognizes her for early recognition of  the importance of
research into how individuals perceive and learn geophysical concepts, for
her own pioneering work on map reading and 3-D visualizatons, and for her
leadership in establishing collaborations among geoscientists and
cognitive scientists.

I think that this is nice recognition from AGU of the value of the
research that all of us are doing on aspects of geoscience thinking,
learning and teaching.

Kim will receive the prize at the AGU Joint Assembly in Toronto this
spring.  I know that she would appreciate your support if you are
attending the meeting.

Cathy

Cathryn A Manduca
Director, Science Education Resource Center
Executive Director, National Association of Geoscience Teachers
Carleton College
1 N College Streen
Northfield, MN  55057
507 222 7096