Hi Tendaji,

I would be interested in having it performed for my incoming students in the
fall....Please let me know if that is possible........Silverenia

  _____

From: Retention & Graduation Issues Concerning Minorities in Higher
Education [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ganges, Tendaji
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2009 11:19 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Proposal for "Her in 7 parts"

Folks -

My office at the University of Michigan-Flint just recently sponsored a
staged performance-reading entitled "Her in 7 parts" and I'm writing to
share with and invite all of our colleagues throughout the state to engage
what I consider a phenomenal play.

"Her in 7 parts" was conceptualized and written by Dr. Traci Currie, a
University of Michigan-Flint Professor in Communication and Visual Arts (who
is also an accomplished poet, spoken word artist and vocalist) and Jennifer
White, the Director of our local PBS Television Station (who is also an
accomplished actor, writer and performer).

I first saw performed an early, much smaller version of the play several
months ago and was so impressed by its powerful message that I approached
them to determine when they would complete it and be prepared to stage the
full performance. We then arranged to have "Her in 7 parts" performed as a
culmination of Women's History Month in late March.

We invited a cross section of campus and community members, including
students from our college and  pre-college KCP programs, and filled one of
our campus theaters. It was a truly wonderful evening! It is a moving and
evocative experience that weaves together powerful and revealing stories in
its exploration of. women.in 7 parts.

I was so impressed that I encouraged them to consider taking the performance
"on the road" and at least around the state and offered to help.and hence,
this message.

I urge you to consider it for any group at high school and above (but no, it
does not contain what one would consider anything offensive). Get in on this
phenomenon early. I really believe that this is a winner that will go far.

Please review the message of invitation below and the attachments.

If I can answer any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Tendaji
Tendaji W. Ganges
Assistant to the Chancellor and
Executive Director
Educational Opportunity Initiatives
University of Michigan-Flint
University Center - Suite 280
303 East Kearsley Street
Flint, MI 48502-1950
Voice and Voice Mail: 810-762-3365
Facsimile: 810-762-3190
Email:  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]

From: Currie, Traci
Subject: "Her in 7 parts"

My name is Traci Currie, and I am a faculty member at University of Michigan
Flint in the Communication and Visual Art Department.

November 2008, a colleague and good friend, Jennifer White (PBS/WFUM Station
Manager) and I created an original work called the "Love Suite" which is an
excerpt to a longer original performance. The audience reception was well
received and Tendaji Ganges (Educational Opportunity Initiatives at
University of Michigan Flint) asked us to perform the full reading Friday,
March 20th 2009 on UM Flint campus. The performance that evening, Her in 7
parts, also received such a powerful reception, and it was suggested that we
continue our work on stage and expand this performance.

Her in 7 parts is a choreographed performance reading that takes a look at
the woman's body in 7 sections:
Foot, Head, Hand, Heart, Back, Tongue, and Eye

In each section we explore different topics that women have experienced.
Few examples:
-the fellowship of food and how eating other's food is a sacred experience
-the scars on our bodies and how we heal from them
-music and its impact
-spirituality
-the things we have seen with our eyes and heart
-the power of saying NO and YES
-how we use language.

Some of the stories are funny and some are grave. This is an eclectic mixed
media performance that includes music and black and white photographs of the
various parts of the woman's body, specifically Black Women, although this
performance speaks to ALL WOMEN. This performance also delves into various
social justice topics/ media/ cultural studies/ performance poetry/ and oral
history.

The performance is a little over 1 hour. Immediately afterwards, we have a
Q&A or talk-back session with the audience.

So, now that the March 20th performance is done our next step is two-fold:
1)     We are publishing a book called, Her in 7 parts, which should be
completed by the end of 2009 Summer.
2)     We are looking for universities that would be interested in this
performance.

I have attached a flyer of our performance, as well as the program we
created. If you have any questions, PLEASE feel free to contact me:

Thank you,
Traci Currie

Traci E. Currie, Ph.D.
Communication and Visual Arts Department
University of Michigan Flint
Flint, MI 48502
810-424-5344