First, don't panic. If 60 Minutes is hyping something as life
threatening, I'd run out and buy it.
I used to respect 60 Minutes until they gored one of my oxen and I found
what they will do to build a story. And I do mean story.

I've seen conflicker in action and cleared it from several machines for
relatives in the last couple of weeks.
One I got switched over to Linux.
I've found Sunbelt Software's VIPRE to work in removing Conflicker. On
the whole I find a lot to like in VIPRE.

An immediate download for every one - now, really! - is VIPRE Rescue
Program. http://live.sunbeltsoftware.com/
Make a Bart's PE or other bootable CD so you can run this as a command
line tool. If you put it on a USB thumb drive, set it to read only.

Ok, How do I know I'm dealing with conflicker and not just a PITA virus?
First clue is that you can't get to several of the following sites. I've
left off the http://www and .com so I don't have to type it so many
times. ;-)

antivir
antivirus
ca
f-secure
kaspersky
mcafee
microsoft
norton
panda
symantec
technet
trendmicro
windowsupdate

Lots of PITA virii or malwares take out some security sites, but this
one takes out almost every security site.
*	CLAM AV seems to work too, by the way but on a Windows box it
takes sooooooooooooooooooo long to run I haven't tried it on more than
one.

2nd clue - services that should be on, are disabled.

 <<Picture (Device Independent Bitmap)>>
Picture blatantly stolen from web.

Just my opinion and experience.
Don Bosman