Dan Kaminsky <http://www.doxpara.com/>  writes "We may not know what the
Conficker
<http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/01/16/142211&tid=172>  authors
have in store for us on April 1st, but I doubt many network
administrators want to find out. Maybe they don't have to: I've been
working with the Honeynet Project <http://www.honeynet.org/> 'sTillmann
Werner and Felix Leder, who have been digging into Conficker's profile
on the network. What we've found is pretty cool: Conficker actually
changes what Windows looks like on the network, and this change can be
detected remotely, anonymously, and very, very quickly. You can
literally ask a server if it's infected with Conficker, and it will give
you an honest answer. Tillmann and Felix have their own proof of concept
scanner <http://iv.cs.uni-bonn.de/uploads/media/scs.zip> , and with the
help of Securosis <http://securosis.com/> ' Rich Mogull and the
multivendor Conficker Working Group
<http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org/wiki/> , enterprise-class scanners
should already be out from Tenable
<http://www.tenablesecurity.com/solutions/> (Nessus), McAfee/Foundstone
<http://www.mcafee.com/> , nmap <http://www.nmap.org/> , ncircle
<http://www.ncircle.com/> , and Qualys <http://www.qualys.com/> . We
figured this out on Friday, and got code put together for Monday. It's
been one heck of a weekend."

Don Bosman
Information Technologist
Libraries, Michigan State University