The owner might benefit to have it back, in case they had phone insurance.  I believe the MSU Union building is still the best central campus lost and found.

Or, if you wanted to go way above the call of duty, take it to an AT&T store and see if they could look up the owner using the serial number.

/rich

PS -- well, I suppose it's possible the owner ditched it iPhone in favor of a newer model from LG.  :-)