Every time I have run across this issue, the file has been a .docx file. There was a beta release of a file converter for Office 2004. Was this installed? If you change the file extension to .docx does it solve the issue?

|            Michael Surato                 |
|      College of Arts and Letters          |
|      Michigan State University            |
|            320 Linton Hall                |
|        East Lansing, MI 48824             |
| Voice: (517) 353-0778 Fax: (517) 355-0159 |