This was recently posted on another list I receive, but I thought I
would share it here.

U. of Virginia Plans to Phase Out Public Computer Labs

The University of Virginia has begun a three-year process of shutting
down
all of its public computer labs as part of an effort to cut costs."

Here's the article from the Chronicle of Higher Education website:
http://tinyurl.com/c5b9mb

and the link on the UAV web site explaining their reasoning for the
change:
http://itc.virginia.edu/org/reports/labstransition.html

some additional information not in the article: they use PCounter for
distributed student printing to printers in locations all across campus,
including the labs, dorms, some classrooms, and other student spaces.
They have been studying their computer lab usage statistics for the last
few years, so this doesn't appear to be a knee-jerk reaction to economic
realities. Share and enjoy.

John A. Resotko
Head of Systems Administration
Michigan State University College of Law
208 Law College Building
East Lansing, MI  48824-1300
email: [log in to unmask]
Phone: 517-432-6836