There are a couple of really important angles here that I failed to mention,
and I'm kicking myself for that failure.....

Any smartphone is likely to have sensitive personal data on it, if nothing
other than contacts.  And it's likely that a smartphone such as an iPhone
will have sensitive data beyond contacts, possibly including MSU-sensitive
data (or that for another enterprise).

Obviously it's not a good practice to keep such data on a smartphone -- I'm
just saying it's likely that it'll have it.

So if you think about it, it's probably NEVER a good practice to give a
smartphone, or any other handheld data pail, to a random person.

I do not say this to pick on David, whose instincts were obviously
civic.... This is stuff that doesn't occur to you (or me) at first blush.

A couple of years ago my colleague Davin Granroth and I found a USB thumb
drive in a microlab, no label, no way to identify.  We started to plug it
into a lab computer, but then we realized we might see stuff on the drive
that was private.  We instead left a note telling the owner to please come
to the closest lost and found.

It is also dangerous to plug a random USB drive into a computer, especially
if you are running on a Windows admin account.

/rich