From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Timothy Woods
Sent: Monday, March 02, 2009 11:50 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] Certificate Programs

Any consensus on where Microsoft Certificates will be heading in the future?
I am familiar with their new certificate programs, but they seem to be
somewhat ambiguous to others that I have spoken with.  I believe many
organizations are still recognizing the MCSE as the "Paramount" in Microsoft
certificates for IT.

As I recall they were talking about phasing out the old certificate
programs, but when I recently reviewed their site I did not see any mention
of this.  I am not sure what the best recommendation would be for someone at
this time for it could be a dilemma, should they spend their time and money
on a certificate that will be obsolete in a few years/months, or recommend
them to move forward to the new certificate programs that organizations
might not recognize anytime soon?

An underlying question might be will Microsoft shy away from the new
certificate program if they do not get the public support and recognition?
Then incorporate newer tests for the older ones such as MCSE.  Or are the
new certificates here to stay and they will phase out the older programs
regardless?

Tim Woods
Information Technology Professional
Michigan State University
School of Social Work and Department of Anthropology