All:

The physics ed research listserve is having exactly the same
conversation about qualitative coding software as we were. Here is
another recommended software program

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Rachel Scherr <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: March 4, 2009 10:46:21 PM GMT-05:00
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Qualitative Analysis Software
> >

> charles, the people I work with (who do a lot of qualitative
> analysis) use InqScribe and love it.  It's developed mostly for
> transcription and subtitling, but you can also code in it.  For the
> really high-powered coding business they use Atlas.ti.  I haven't
> used either, myself.
>
> Rachel
>
> Rachel Scherr
> Visiting Scholar
> Learning, Media, and Interaction Group
> Everyday Science and Technology Group
> LIFE Center, University of Washington
>
> Research Assistant Professor
> Physics Education Research Group
> Department of Physics, University of Maryland
>
> http://www2.physics.umd.edu/~rescherr/
>

> On Mar 4, 2009, at 3:49 PM, Charles Henderson wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I'm sure that ya'll have lots of opinions about qualitative
>> analysis software.  I have not used any for many years and was not
>> happy with the usability (NVivo) at the time.
>>
>> But, I am involved in a project where several researchers will be
>> analyzing open-ended interviews from about 20 people at three
>> different sites.  So, I think this is the kind of project that
>> these software packages are ideal for.  But, which one to get?
>>
>> The three products that we are currently investigating are NVivo,
>> Ethnograph, and HyperResearch.  I'd be interested in any thoughts
>> about these or others.  Ease of use and the ability to collaborate
>> between several researchers are important considerations.
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Charles

Julie Libarkin
Assistant Professor, Director - Geocognition Research Lab
Dept. of Geological Sciences & Division of Science and Math Education
Michigan State University
206 Natural Science
East Lansing, MI 48824
517-355-8369