Our faculty (including the Dean) are having some strange email issues
recently and looking for answers.

First example, one user sends email to the other and the email never
shows up.  This is repeatable problem.  No error is given. The messages
do not appear in webmail inbox and neither have any filters and the
message is not in the spam folder or trash. We have also tried sending
messages from Thunderbird and the problem still exists. Both users can
receive and send email with no problem from and to other MSU email
accounts.

Second example mail problems has to do with lost attachments.  Some
users received the attachments others did not but everyone received the
message.  This happened twice from one user to multiple different users
in our building, but the problem did not repeat when the message was
resent to just the people who failed to get the attachment using the
same clients on both sides.

Third example is a user who sent a message with an attachment from MSU
Webmail at IM Circle (outside of Erickson Hall) and the attachment never
arrived.  The user resent the message three times until it finally went
through.

Fourth example is a user sending email from outlook to the Dean's
account (who uses Eudora).  The messages appear in sent folder on the
sending computer but never arrive for the Dean.  This has happened off
and on for a while.

In all four cases no errors from clients or MSU mail servers were
received.  We have reported most of these problems to MSU Help Desk.  I
am hoping someone has an idea about what is going on so we can provide
answers to the College of Education staff and faculty.

Charles Ruggiero
517-432-4970