It's my understanding the first let's you run the server software, but
you need a SharePoint CAL and Windows CAL for each user.

Second allows unlimited users, mostly used if site is anonymous or
open to everyone rather the a department.

Last is same as first, only difference is you get next version
SharePoint Server license free if released within two years of your
purchase.

That's my understanding

--
Troy Murray