Al -

You're exactly right. Don't back up shares which reside on drives you're
backing up. I suspect that if you include both, you'll get the same
content backed up twice - once under the associated folder of the drive
being backed up, and again when referenced by the share. Must admit I've
never done this, though, so I wouldn't bet my paycheck on that
hypothesis - maybe yours, though...

I do believe that if you're backing up over the network from a server
with the Backup Exec agent installed, you'll have very different
performance between backing up file systems and backing up shares. In
the former case you'll transport the data to be backed up over the
network in an optimized manner between the backup agent and the media
server. In the latter case, the data will be transported over the
network via the SMB/CIFS protocol, which will amost certainly carry a
much higher overhead burden. Can't think of much reason to back up just
shares anway, unless you're trying to back up data from a server that
can't run an agent - maybe some non-agent supported 'nix box running
Samba, for instance.

Regards,

John Fishbeck
Physical Plant Computer Systems and Networking Group