From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of David McFarlane
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:13 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] How hard should you hit an ailing hard drive?

Arriving late to the party...

At 1/14/2009 11:20 AM Wednesday, Nicholas Oas wrote:
>Like Laurence said, your symptom could be due to software corruption
>and have little to do with the mechanical hd.

Speaking of recovering corrupted sectors from an ailing (but still
spinning) HDD, this might be the time to ask if anybody has any
experience with SpinRite from Gibson Research (a search of the MSUNAG
Archives show this was last discussed on 4 Sep 2007).  I have heard
wondrous stories about its data recovery capabilies, but those mostly
come from testimonials read by the developer himself on his security
podcast.  Although I own a license, I have never had the opportunity
to use SpinRite for data recovery myself so I have no stories of my own.

Thanks,
-- dkm