We just upgraded to Office 2007 in Oct. 2008 by decree of my dean --
everyone was done in a 1 week time slot.  Although I had the
compatibility utility added to Office 2003, the conversion did not work
well for all features in 2007.  Since my folks do a lot of document
sharing with other units and campuses that have already upgraded, this
was causing regular issues (fixable -- but still a pain).  My dean got
fed up with this, and everyone was upgraded -- period!  Actually that
was a good thing (that my dean decreed it), because if I had initiated
it, I know I would have had several "hold-outs".

Be aware that the menu organization is *very* different.  It took our
groups (TAP and TGS) around 2 weeks before their productivity was back
to 95% of pre-upgrade levels (and the complaints stopped).

My serious Access folks took a New Horizons class to go over the new
version in-depth -- that app probably has the biggest changes.
Some folks took an LCTTP 1/2 day class that goes over changes between
2003 and 2007 -- goes over the whole suite of apps.
Others only used the MS online tutorials:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/getstarted/FX101055081033.aspx

I personally just used the interactive guides:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/training/HA102295841033.aspx
A flash page is available for each 2003 app; you click on what command
you want and it shows you where to find it in 2007.

Hope this helps!

 ~ Esther

Esther V. V. Reed
IT Systems Administrator