And if UBCD4Win won’t let you read the disk, try Knoppix or some other Linux live CD.  I’ve found that Linux will sometimes mount a damaged NTFS partition that Windows won’t (and vise versa).

From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Melvin Micke
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:32 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] How hard should you hit an ailing hard drive?

This sounds like directory corruption, not an electronics failure.  You probably still have access to much of the drive, just not the area needed to run the OS.  Create a UBCD4Win disk and boot from that. Have a USB drive plugged into the system so that you have alternate storage ready to copy anything you find still accessible.

Mel