It is interesting to note that the problem seems to have started after
the SSL Cert for mail.MSu.edu was updated.
I ran into a similar scenario on test servers with a palm treo 700w.
The problem was a combination of the root Cert not being trusted
broadly enough and the palm not having updated root Certs.
The solution was to install the root Cert for the site onto the palm.
Here is  a brief description of what I did:
Download an sslchain software and run it against mail.MSu.edu
This should download all of the Certs for mail.MSu.edu
Copy the downloaded root Cert to File Explorer of the palm and install
it.
This resolved the problem.
I can provide more detail info for those interested at a later time.
I pulled my hair out for about 2 weeks before finding a solution that
works. Hope this works for you too.

Firm.