I use OpenOffice when I have to read MS files, and its worked
pretty well for me.  OO used to fall down on tables, but that
seems to be getting better.   For "simple" documents, its
done really well.  I've put it on friends business computers,
and strangely enough I don't hear from them about issues
with MS files.   It's not perfect, but its gotten better with
each release.  I've seen it work on OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Ubuntu,
Windows and Solaris, which is nice.

--STeve Andre'